JEE Mains examination is an entrance exam for undergraduate engineering/architecture courses at NIT's , IIIT's , centrally funded technical institutions , and other colleges that consider JEE Exam score.It conducted by Joint Admissions Board. It is required that a student gives JEE-Mains exam if he wishes to take admission IIT's also since JEE-Mains acts as a eligibility test for JEE Advanced exam.
JEE Mains has two papers. Paper 1 is required for all undergraduate courses.Paper 2 is required only if you are planning to take B.Arch / B.Planning.
Paper 1 has objective questions from Mathematics , Physics , Chemistry with equal weightage to all three subjects.The exam is generally of 3 hours duration. Paper 1 of JEE Mains is currently conducted in two separate modes
- Paper Based Test (Referred to as offline exam)
- Computer Based Test (Referred to as online exam)
- Students should be less than 25 yrs of age in the year that they are giving the examination.In 2013 students born on or after Oct 1 1988 were only eligible.Similar calculation can be done for exams to be conducted in 2014.
- For SC,ST and PwD candidates the upper age limit is extended to 30.In 2013 students born on and after Oct 1 1983 were eligible.Similar calculation can be done for exams to be conducted in 2014 and further.
- Year of Passing Qualifying Exam
- Students who have passed the qualifying exam in the current year or in the last two academic years are only eligible for the entrance test.For JEE Mains 2013 students who had passed qualifying exam in 2012 or 2011 were allowed along with students giving the qualifying exam in 2013.Candidates who had appeared the qualifying exam in 2010 but failed , and then passed the exam in 2011 were not eligible for JEE Mains 2013. Similar comparison can be made for 2014.
- The number of attempts that a candidate can avail at JEE-Mains exam is limited to 3.
JEE-Mains has switched to a completely online application form since 2013.Complete application procedure is available at JEE Mains Official websitein the JEE Mains Bulliten.
The number of marks for each question has varied historically in AIEEE.It is generally between 3-4 marks per question.Negative marking is usually there with ratio of 1:4 i.e, -1 for every wrong question.However students are advised to read the instruction sheet carefully before starting the exam.The students are provided with JEE-Mains ranks using a complex procedure which gives 40%weightage to marks obtained in 12th or equivalent and 60% to marks scored in JEE-Mains exam.